Friday, November 23, 2012

Sample portrait sketch

Here is my sample quick sketch of my son.  I plan to demo 4 of these quick sketches at the upcoming  Clifton Holiday show December 15.  The creation of this sketch was strange and anything but quick. The first pass took about 30 minutes and I was happy with the painterly effect.  When I tried to take a photo with my Canon, the photo showed very high light and dark contrast; not at all what I saw with my eyes. So I went back to the painting to lighten the darks and knock down the highlights to get the photo to read like the painting.  Crazy.  So it was back and forth and back and forth between the painting and taking photographs.  Very time consuming but I wanted a good photo of the sample.  I was finally getting almost "acceptable results" with my Canon; but had to run to dinner, so I left frustrated.  When I got back I decided to take a photo with the ipad.  That solved the problem.  Perfect picture of what the painting looks like, with all the subtleties I was seeing with the original oil painting.

Anyway, I plan to take the first 4 patrons willing to commission a quick sketch of their child or grandchild but I ask that you sign up ahead of time. In fact, you can sign up now if you want. The patron can come and watch me demo the portrait at the Show, as can anyone else interested in watching.  I will demo from 1-5pm (I think).  I ask for a good quality (non copyrighted) electronic image of the child in advance of the Show and I will paint from the ipad.  Wiggling and boredom avoided!  This is a one time discount pricing.

The size is 8 x 10".  I haven't decided on price.





No comments: