Sunday, September 25, 2011

Fall Class Demo



Last Thursday was the first day of my fall class. I did a demo of garlic because they won't rot by class #2 and I now know I can finish a demo in 50 mintues (Paint Herndon post below). With all the talking I was going to do, however, I knew it would take an extra 30 minutes at a minimum. So I went crazy painting fast in the demo and stopped at 1.5 hours. It is not as finished as my Paint Herndon garlic and now I know why. I purposely reversed the colors of this demo to create a pair with my Paint Herndon painting. Tricia Ratliff then pointed out that I had not in fact painted a 8 x10, but a 9 x 12. Geez, so they aren't a pair after all. No wonder it took me longer and that also explains why I kept wondering why I had so much space around the garlic.


I also have a confession, and this happens with almost every painting. There is a point where I think... "OMG I'm not going to be able to pull through on this painting." I mean it looked like a sloppy, flat mess. But then I blend the edges between the light and shadow side and add the reflected lights and highlights and something presentable shows up. I should really stop freaking cause it never stays in that condition.


After the demo, I started over and blocked in the drawing. The students followed along. Then we added the background and shadow color of the garlic. Everyone did a great job, but that is where we had to stop because it was already after 10 pm. Next week, everyone is going to learn how to use the oil medium and then will find out, much to their chagrin I'm sure, that they have to repaint the shadow colors. That is a necessity so that when the light colors are added you can blend the two together to make the garlic round.

No comments: