Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Beach Kids #3






I started this painting earlier this week, then somehow wrenched my back just walking across the parking lot so I haven't finish it. This is a painting of a friend's nieces. I love the body language on these kids. The older girl appears to be helping her younger sister navigate the waves even though she looks scared herself of the big wave coming. The younger child looks like she just finished jumping up and down with excitement. Adorable! I hope I'm doing the moment justice in paint.




This painting is a more detailed painting and realistic painting than the others, despite my effort to keep it loose and impressionistic. This painting style is just where the subject took me. I love all the frothy water so I'm taking my time. Most of the center and right of the painting of water are not done (hence why the large area of greenish color on which I will put bright purple for the froth); neither are the legs, arms or hair for that matter. So I think if I work fast I probably have another three hours to go. I hate to stop painting on this one as it has been fun! I hope I get more beach painting interests as I've run out of good pics.



I'm going to wait to put in the kids' other arms in until the background is complete and dry as I've struggled enough and have wiped out those other limbs twice so far--they just keep getting in the way of the background. Once again the legs have been the largest struggle because of the strange angles and foreshortening and I see more struggles in my future. Color also needs to be adjusted as I wiped out a small section of a leg and never put the color back (oops). This means I'm going to have to repaint the legs unless I can match the color exactly, which is unlikely. The colors are far more vibrant in life than what this snapshot shows.

No comments: