Sunday, July 8, 2012

Painting at Fountainhead Park


I got out of the house this morning at 6:30 am and started my trek around the general vacinity to find a good landscape painting spot.  This was day two of my attempt.  Yesterday I spent two - three hours driving all over creation and never finding something just right.  I started with Occoquan Town and while there were many options (waterfall, bridge, quaint houses, boats), nothing in the shade, so then I went to Occoquan Regional Park (looks over the mansions on other side yuck)  and then the Occoquan wildlife reserve (too far to walk to the water). I even went to the Vulcan Stone Co, because I was convinced I could look down onto Occoquan town and the River.  I couldn't find such a spot-too many trees again.  In the fall I want to check out Vulcan again, because there is a huge waterfall that you can hear, but can't see.  There is also a huge quarry with water, but too many trees in the way at this point.  I'll have to wait until the leaves drop.

In any case, this morning I started with Bull Run Marina, but it is now blocked by a large metal gate and only accessible with a permit key.  For real?!!! Ugh. A nice guy entering however reminded me of Fountainhead Regional Park.  PERFECT.  It's a popular fishing spot and they have a nice boardwalk and pier.  Lots of folks in kayaks and row boats and fishing off the pier.  I tried several times to capture a boater in my painting, but they were moving too darn fast and I had to wipe them out over and over.  In any case, here is my attempt of the day.  I have to fix the sky reflection because there is no way  the sky is reflecting that low.  Sky reflection just seems misplaced.  I should fix it now while it is wet. 

I do want to put a row boater in this painting, so I might go back soon with the camera this time.  Next month is the Art League's Landscape show and if I can pull this off, perhaps I have a shot at getting juried in.  The only disappointment (besides the heat) today was with my Soltek easel.  I can't seem to tighted the arm that holds the canvas and every time I put pressure on the painting with my brush or palette knife it moved backwards drastically.  So annoying.  I tried to tighten the arm, but it is as tight as it gets.  Don't know how to fix this.  I wonder if the heat has something to the "screw loose" situation.

No comments: