Sunday, July 3, 2011

Queen of Starts - Corn



I thought I'd post another start of a painting because, well, I have no finishes...yet. I have to make finishing my main objective if I can get any free time this holiday weekend. There are a few competitions I want to enter including "Something Hot Exhibit" at Gallery 222 in Loudoun and Art at the Mill. Both have entry dates that are less than a month away and I really have very little that is available for sale, mostly because I have so little time to paint. I'm taking the summer off from teaching, however, which frees up at least one night a week.

This was a demo I started in my still life class this spring. I picked corn because I have to find fruit or vegetables that can last more than one week, so that the students have time to finish a painting. This set-up was perhaps too complicated with the corn, colander, lace drape and old biscuit box, but it was a very interesting set up--if I do say so myself. One again, I loved the energy. And, I can't resist a highly reflective surface.

I use a 200 watt clear incandescent bulb to light my subject which creates a "spot light" on the subject. I think that works well because it creates an extreme high value on the main subject, which in this case is the peeled corn (secondarily it is the colander). What are artists going to do when incandescent bulbs aren't produced anymore??

No comments: