Sunday, July 10, 2011

Plein Air Painting in Old Town













I went to Old Town this morning to paint with the newly formed Art League Plein Air painters. I arrived a few hours before our scheduled time because I can't stand to paint in the heat. I get agitated and cannot produce. When I arrived, the sun was directly in my eyes, that is, if I wanted to paint the marina. So, I had to find an alternative. I was very lucky to find a willow tree near the riverboat behind the Chart House Restaurant. Unfortunately, it was a bit off of the beaten track and far from the others. I had a great view of the boats, however. I started with a white canvas, as I was not prepared, but I think it worked well to create a summer feel.
It was really fun. I don't consider myself a plein air painter at all, so these last two days I anticipated would be disastrous and, like the other times, I would vow never to do that again. Instead it was fun. I was cool (just beautiful weekend). I enjoyed everyone stopping to look and ask questions. So many nice people.







The next plein air event with the Art League Plein Air painters will be August 7. The group is going to meet the first Sunday of every month. I believe we are going to be painting at the Waterfront again, right behind the Torpedo Factory. The group appears to be part of an effort to bring interest to the Waterfront and school. We had our picture taken as part of the "inaugural" event, so it might appear in the next Tidings Newsletter (on Art League Website). Yikes, I would have put some makeup on if I had known.

No comments: