Thursday, December 27, 2012

Latest Portrait

Here is the latest portrait sketch of a girl named Sammy.  I never met her but she is adorable.  This is a friend of a friend's daughter and she served as my portrait demo at the Clifton Art Show a few weekends ago.  The first picture was my demo and I completed it in record speed, probably 20 minutes, but I didn't like the lack of depth of the skin tone, so I repainted it as you will see in the second photo.  I'm extremely happy with the skin tone, but it is not picking up in this ipad photo (the opposite of my son's painting).  I might take a picture with the Canon and see if it shows up better.  Once again my portrait sketch turned into a full blown effort.  I really enjoyed painting Sammy and was sad when I couldn't figure what else to improve and called it done yesterday.

I was going to crop this painting and make it a 6 X 8" because of the orientation of her on the canvas, but I really like the fact that there is a lot of space around her face, in fact I wish there was more.  I think more space would have a moody feel and I would reserve it for teens or older kids.  



I hope to do more of their portraits.    This is 8 x 10".   I'm taking orders :-)  The price is $250.


No comments: