Friday, May 2, 2014

Painting in Danni's Class

I have finally, after many years, been able to take Danni Dawson's Saturday's class at the Art League.  She is terrific-a teacher for experienced painters (and beginners too).  It's so great to get that high level instruction.  I am enjoying the class so much.  Many friends and great artists in the room.  

So here is the gentleman I'm painting.  We have him for 4 classes, so about 4 hours each Saturday or 16 hours.  Now that is a completely different experience.  I'm slowing down tremendously, but not sure that is a good thing.  I was able to paint only 2 hours last week due to business travel plans, so I'm behind.  

Anyway, I have to give kudos to Jordan Xu, who strategically placed permanent rose on this man's head and completely changed the temperature theme from warm to cool.  I love that we can offer each other advice.  And, Jordan is quite a painter, so you better believe I listened to him. 

It really worked well.  I spent last Saturday integrating Jordan's cool strokes and my supplemental plains of color so they are more cohesive. I can't wait until tomorrow.  I better bring the good camera to take photos because I don't see myself finishing.

I like the 60s print on the cushion in real life, but not sure its
working in the painting.  I'm going to keep on going and gray them out more and see what I think.  If it looks bad, I will paint over it.  I think the horizontal line is distracting.

No comments: