Monday, May 12, 2014

Daffodils

I love daffodils and every spring I seem to miss their grandeur usually because of my day job obligations.  I just can't seem to find the energy to work all day and paint all night.

What is even more painful is my mother in law's most amazing daffodfil garden.  I think last year she planted 600 bulbs or something crazy like that.  She already had about 600 plants so there is nothing but daffodils everywhere in her woods. All varieties are represented.  I particularly like the white with yellow orange center and thought, incorrectly, that since it was so cold here in VA this Spring that I had more time to gain the energy and momentum to paint them.  Having a painting demo did the trick as I always like to practice before such a humbling effort.  Of course four weeks later (after first bloom), I decide to pick those daffodils.  Surpise!  nothing but wilt.  My MIL however was such a trooper.  We went to every bloom left.  Most were wilted, but we managed to find about 8 that were still in prime condition. In our search, we both lost a shoe in the mud bog, had to jump creek beds and balance over logs. Anyway I got my treasured daffodils.  Here is my effort.



I am now very focused on making sure I have a main subject.  Core painting and composition principles for focusing the eye include:  making your main subject the lightest, the sharpest and the thickest/most saturated color. While I've known these principles since studying with my first really good artist/teacher, I didn't really consciously paint that way until David Cheifetz's workshop this fall.  Still singing his praises.   I might should call this "Channeling my Inner David Cheifetz." :-)

No comments: