Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pomergranate - Sold at La Bella Luce Show






Here is my latest painting. It was sold today at La Bella Luce. La Bella Luce is a very cute antique shop that is exhibiting my work until December 7. I painted this painting last week and it was very interesting to paint. I've always wanted to paint a pomegranate and I was shocked to discover how much juice comes out of that fruit. It is a fountain, either that or I got a particularly good specimen. So, I decided to paint the puddles of juice that just seems impossible to come from this very hard, weird, seed-pod thing. I just couldn't stop this thing from dripping all over the place and on me. I looked like I had been slashed!



For my artist friends, pomegranates are like grapes. There are areas, e.g. the seeds, of differing reflected areas that need to be treated as masses and other areas that need to be distinct and treated a individual seeds, with higher valued highlights and low-lights. These individual seeds are also surrounded by very distinct dark shape and hot interiors. These factors make them pop out. There are also strange skin things that run through the interior of the fruit and they cool in color, naples yellow/cerulean blue. So odd!


I want to thank my friends for coming to the opening reception tonight. I have some new plein air items, oil sketches and small works showing - these items are more reasonably priced than my very detaile dgallery paintings--although those are available too. I invite all to come to the show.


















No comments: