Saturday, November 5, 2011

Workshop with Trisha Adams



Last weekend I took Trisha Adam's workshop. This was a treat as she doesn't teach often. I love her loose impressionistic style and thought I would learn from the master. It was one of the best workshops I've ever taken. She provided two superb powerpoint presentations, one on composition and one on color. They were so good and provided such a great foundation, I recommend her workshops to any artist. Many principles she discussed I plum forgot or never knew, including the fact that if you use complementary colors as your color design you will generally have a pleasing painting. I really never thought about that before and certainly didn't consciously plan out paintings using this principle, but it's a really good principle. It is certainly something I'm going to think about a lot now. There was also great advice given on how to get your eye to move around the painting and land on your main subject, plus the fact that you should have a main subject (which I forget often).



Anyway, here is one of my samples. Notice the blue and orange color design (Trisha's set up). Really nice color composition. Also you will notice the folds of the fabric are all pointing toward my main subject, which is the blue vase. The value contrast between the vase and the background also help focus the eye. I could go on and on with the great wisdom Trisha imparted.


I would like to finish the vase a bit more as it is too angular for this stage and correct the drawing of the vase. More tomorrow on other samples from the class. I'm off soon to the Expressions Portrait Competition Reception at Art Space.

No comments: