Monday, August 22, 2011

Reception at the Salmagundi Club







I traveled to NYC this weekend to attend the Salmagundi Club's Annual Non-member Show reception, where I'm proud to have had my "Parrot Tulip" painting displayed as a finalist. The show was spectacular, with very high quality work by all and some well known artists I recognized. I was thrilled that Jean Schwartz and her husband attended the event as well. Jean started the Art League Plein Air Painters that I have joined to paint along Old Town's waterfront. We had so much fun meeting the other artists and members of the Salmagundi Club, including President Claudia Seymour. Jill Banks, fellow painter, also had several pen and ink drawings in the show that was downstairs in the billiard room. The Salmagundi Club is a beautiful venue.



I arrived early Friday on purpose to get some photos of New York urban scenes. I also took a quiet hour and saw the show before the crowd arrived for the reception. I also took some pictures of my favorite pieces from the show, which was pretty much every painting. Jean had a gorgeous landscape of the Potomac that I have pictured above. After a beautiful sunny afternoon, I was surprised to exit the reception and it was pouring. None of us brought an umbrella, but Jean's husband Dick was nice enough to get wet and hail a cab. I tried but failed miserably, with one shoe flying into a puddle. It took a while, but we succeed in getting a cab and returned to the hotel for late nights snacks at the bar at the Washington Square Hotel -- a quaint boutique hotel with lots of character and well situated.




I have to share a funny story. After thinking I packed like a pro, I realized that I had forgotten my contacts case, so what did I do? I put my contacts in a glass of water. In the middle of the night, half asleep, I got up and got a drink of water. Can you tell where I'm going with this? Yes, I drank my contacts.

The next day, it took me a while to get organized and buy readers so I could see, but I finally made it to Central Park for more pictures. I rarely go to NYC so I thought I would take advantage of the trip. I got some great photos of people boating, the horse draw carriages and people generally milling about. In fact, there were several artists painting and teaching in the park. I took this picture of a class in session. I got brave (and because I had to watch my pennies) and took the metro to Central Park and back. Wow is that complicated. NYC makes the Paris and DC metros look like child's play. There are the locals and expresses and same color lines going different places, stops closed down for repairs and detours, plus you have to know the names of different parts of the city to know what direction you need to head in....yikes. Getting there was easy. Getting back was a mess. I mean it is a labyrinth underground. I couldn't find the exit to Waverly Place and ended up about 4 block away, with no time to spare to make the Megabus back. Needless to say there was much running and sweat. I made it with only seconds to spare.




I took the train up and the bus back. I highly recommend the train. My advice is to book the train at least 14 days in advance and each way is only $49. I paid substantially more for my indecision and last minute booking...hence why I had to take the bus back. Anyway, what an adventure. I would love to grab a few plein air painting friends, stay at the Chelsea Hotel or some other cheaper hotel and paint in Central Park all weekend. What fun that would be.

No comments: