Saturday, August 2, 2008

Works in Progress

I started these two paintings as demos and thought it would be fun to show progression from session #1, #2, #3 and maybe #4 (heaven help me). I really don't like to paint on a painting more than 3 sessions (i.e., 9 hours).

This orange I started at the Clifton Art show, but I only got to paint on it about 30 minutes before a huge thunderstorm overtook us and we had to make a mad dash with the participating artists' works to drier territory. In the scramble I completely forgot about my demo. When I returned it was covered in droplets but no damage. The added benefit of oils!! I will try to keep the rug looking more like a wash, but I may change my mind.


The pear and grapes in a bucket I started at the GFFFTA last week, so I wouldn't hover over the students, but fought a nearly white canvas. Breaking my own rules. Never start with a white canvas!!! I think this one will show a bigger progression from the first to second sessions as I was not able to punch up the colors enough in the first go round. Hate the table line, so I plan to change that. You can see that I don't start very detailed, but just block in color. I also plan (or will try!) to follow Robert Johnson's rule on grapes. That is, that you should only paint the heck out of three grapes in each cluster. I haven't really painted the heck out of any of the grapes yet. It will be important to figure out which "clumps" to consider for the 3 grape rule. Clearly there are many clumps in this set up.


Check back in a few weeks.....

No comments: