Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sample Work from Robert Johnson Workshop



In my last blog, I talked about Robert Johnson's three grape rule. I thought I would share a few other Johnson "rules" (okay they might not be rules, but things that stuck with me). I did this pansy painting in his workshop this spring. Rule One is to make sure that every item has a soft and hard edge. Hopefully you can pick this up in the edge quality of the pansy petals and leaves. Rule Two is to not have a sharp back edge. If you notice, the light rug and the dark background melt together. The edge is soft. In the past I used to make this edge hard and the painting overall was much less appealing. Rule Three, the best green for leaves is a mixture of ultramarine blue and cadmium yellow. You would think that would make an electric green, but it makes a fine realistic green. One of the hardest things is to make leaves look real--that simple color combo works. Rule Four, be more precise. I love to start the drawing and painting with only angles. However, if you don't round them at some point to more accurately represent the subject, then it looks off. Rule Five, sketch in a rug detail or two and forget the rest. I highly recommend taking one of his courses if you are a devoted still life painter.


No comments: