Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A mini painting

Here is a small painting I completed Monday night.  The rose is not necessarily a miniature, but the size of this painting is 6 x 6 so it qualifies for a mini status.  I plan to do a few of these single (or double) flower paintings for the Clifton Wine shop and the Gallery 222 petite show.   Now I have to find reasonably priced frames so the price is petite too.

I decided to do a violet underpainting so the darks were already present and I could better judge where the light was hitting.  It was quite a time saver as I normally start with the hot center and then work the cool shadow colors in later.   I believe in blocking in the shadows first, so I don't know why I normally start differently with flowers.  I also used a lot more transparent red oxide for the reflected lights and mixture of permanent rose and viridian for the dark shadows.  Very interesting combos.  

No comments: