Sunday, February 26, 2012

Robert Johnson - Painting #2

Here is my second painting start from the Johnson workshop. Cheryl Cochran and I set this up in a huge rush. I think we had three hours left in the workshop and we were both tired of the carnations painting and had purchased these beautiful hydrangeas, pink spiky flower and golden rod, so we had to use them. We probably should have taken more time with the actual placement of the pears. So after about an hour of painting, we substituted the mango on the right and the orange slices on the left because the set up was looking contrived to have pears so equal in size and spacing. The pears looked like book ends so that had to change. Hopefully not so much anymore.



I've never painted hydrangeas before. They are intimidating. I knew it was going to be hard, but it wasn't horrify to get to this stage. My problem is trying to figure out when to stop. Just like grapes, I think I should paint the heck out of two or three clumps of petals and leave the rest as brush stokes. Plus, painting the detail here and there would help focus the eye and move it around the painting. My main subjects are the apple and pear in the center so I would want to paint some detailed petals near them. I've then got to decide where else will keep the eye flowing through this painting. I'm a bit perplexed by that challenge.



I think I'm going to have to take a class at the Art League or I will never finish these. I would love to take Danni Dawson's class on Saturdays. It is five hours (well one hour for lunch, but who stops for lunch?), but that is a long time to be away from the family on a weekend. Plus, the class is a portrait and figure class, so I know I'm going to want to paint the model. Dilemmas!

No comments: