Saturday, September 7, 2013

Fall Class Starting Sept 26, 2013


FALL STILL LIFE PAINTING CLASS
ARTSPACE  HERNDON


September 26-November 21 (no class October 31 - Halloween)
7-10 pm
8 weeks
$200


My fall still life class starts on September 26.  I have two slots open.   We will be painting flowers and fall veggies again, but this time I think I'm going to divide the class into groups.  Those that want to paint live only and those that want to do a combo of live and photo.  The reason being is that I've had several returning students ask how to "finish" a painting and the only way to go from a block-in type of look which is more impressionistic (which I like very much) to a "polished" tighter finish is to layer paint and refine stokes over existing stokes, and glaze and adjust.  It usually takes three layers from my experience before it starts to looks realistic.  The problem is the flowers are long gone by class 3 and pretty weak looking by week 2.

I do buy lots of fresh flowers and there is no materials fee.  I hope we can find peonies (November!!! from South America)  Anyway, here is a sampling of paintings students painted in my last class in the Spring.   I know the lower one was done by a great artist -- Marna Morgan.  I'm sorry to say, I can't remember who did the one above.  They are awesome paintings!





No comments: