Thursday, June 3, 2010

Two Paintings Sold At Art at the Mill Show


I sold two paintings at the spring Art At The Mill show in Millwood VA--one of my favorite art venues. Thank you to the patrons who purchased them. I'm always honored to get accepted to the show and it is a special thrill to sell a painting there.
The painting pictured above is "Red Onions on a Blue Box" -- not a terribly original title, but what I find interesting is that folks think they are turnips. So I guess I'm glad about the title. I think part of the reason for the misidentification is that onions rarely appear in the gRocery store in their natual "plucked" state. If I remember correctly these onions were from the Burke Farmers Market near the end of the summer and the stalks had grown extremely thick, like bamboo. They were so beautiful, with the skins completely off. I couldn't resist painting them. The box is one of my favorites and comes from an antique store I stopped by a few years ago on the way home from -- of all things -- the Art at the Mill show. I think that antique store (more of a junk yard) is long gone, but I found a gem of a store in Boyce (i.e., Millwood/Berryville) in the old school house. If you are ever there you should find it, its worth a visit and pretty inexpensive too.




No comments: